Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Drenched & Dignified

I know I am not assigned to blog today, but I figured since I have a few things to say and the fact that I am a crew leader, you guys will forgive me for posting out of turn.
I want to begin by saying how everyone was in good spirits, despite the heavy rain! This morning, Zach, Doug, and I made the 20 minute hike from our trail to another section of Point Mountain that needs a lot of work. I am thrilled that we were able to see our trail in such heavy rain. It's really nice to see that our hard work is paying off, but what's even better than that is seeing trail work from five years ago still working. The section that we hiked to this morning I worked on with my very first SCA crew in 2005, and it was so exciting to be back there in the middle of a down pour, seeing the trench along the side of the trail doing its job. It's hard to explain the feeling of experiencing hard work from years ago pay off.
If you don't mind, I'd like to offer a bit of advice (especially to all the newer crewmembers): Take pride in all the work you do this summer. Work hard on it too, because chances are it's going to be there for a really really long time, and hopefully for lots of hikers to enjoy. These random moments of joy in your work come randomly and when you least expect it too... I was at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago, and was browsing the book "50 Best Hikes in NJ" and Point Mountain had made the cut! Even better was that the author had mentioned "it's steep and rocky going down, but you'll thank trail builders for their rock staircases". All I could think was THAT WAS ME! AND MY CREW FROM 2005! It was a fantastic feeling.
Anyway, I apologize for my unsolicited post and advice, see you all tomorrow, hopefully the rain will stay far away.
-Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment