Thursday, July 23, 2009

How many days ago was friday?

Before I start I want to point out that I indeed know that today is Thursday and not last Friday. This blog is hmmm..... lets see.....about four or so days late but no worries because I'm writing it now, then Friday will have officially happened (according to Jon). I also have to write this since I pinky promised Jon that I would and you can't break a promise, especially one of the pinky variety.

(as if written on Friday so I can retain the days full value haha)

Today was a fabulous day unlike any other day this week. Wanna know why? Today was an Environmental Education Day! WOOHOO!!! We all hurriedly hopped into our vans and awaited our arrival to the Great Swamp. When we first arrived to the Great Swamp we all paraded into the building and discovered something I had never seen before, a water fountain which surprisingly contained salt water. This provided many giggles for our group. We then made our way outside where Jon handed us all our nature brochures. The task was to team up with a partner and to look for unique plants and flowers while on our walk. Greg and Rich were the first to open the booklet but were interrupted by a park ranger who felt that their presence on the grass was harming the public property. This also provided us with many more giggles. All fueled by monster, we explored the Great Swamp. Now looking back I have a theory as to why it is named the Great Swamp: because it's totally EPIC! :)

The second stop for the day was at the Raptor Trust. Before leaving the parking lot , we played a quick round of The Question game. This was the first time that I've seen it played and I must say it takes madd skillz. Michelle reigned supreme. At the Raptor Trust, I was surprised by how many birds they had! We saw Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Red-Tail Hawks, a Raven (which we attempted to communicate with, sadly without success), Turkey Vultures, a Barn Owl, and even a Snowy Owl which closely resembled that of Hedwig in Harry Potter which made me suddenly feel magical for some odd reason.

Today was SO epic that we even had a third place to go! Once in the vans we headed off to Schooley's Mountain for lunch and some hiking. Three cheers for hiking! While waiting for the other crew to arrive, our crew all engaged in an intense game of JOUST. So intense in fact, that Jon even got hit in the face by a forceful play from Bryan. The day only continued to get better when we went on our hike. I immensely enjoyed the hike since it was a loop and relatively flat (which is a nice change of pace when the trail we normally work on is a massive hill consisting mostly of rocks). The trail brought us to a gorgeous lookout point where you could see for miles (well maybe not that far, but who knows, I'm bad at judging distances what can I say :p ). Further down the path we discovered a couple totally awesome waterfalls. At the waters edge, some people including Terri and myself felt the urge to rub sedimentary rocks together to make mud which we then applied to our faces like war-paint. RAWRRRR! As we headed back we stopped for a moment where we were all captivated by Pat's preaching skills. Hallelujah! With about an hour left the crew leaders had a not so secret secret meeting where the decision was made to engage in an epic Ultimate Frisbee game: Team Narwhal vs. The Other Team. To be 100% honest, I don't remember their team name. Don't be hating on me I just have a horrid memory lol. Anyway, the battle began. Vlad amazed everyone by serving the Frisbee with such beastly force. In the end our crew won: six to one. We ultimately won though since we successfully completed our secret plan: get the Frisbee to Jackie at any cost.

After a long fun, but educational day, we returned to Voorhees. If you think the fun end's here you are mistaken my friend. Later that evening in Clinton, many SCA members (including Greg, Pat, Max, Zach, and Terri) came out to hear my band perform. Dan (aka Dandolf the Great) amazed the crowd by playing drums with my band. Chris' band (really long awesome name I don't remember) also played and rocked the streets. Overall I would have to say that by the feedback from the crowd and fellow members, the night was a huge success. We'll that's all I got. Peace out Cub Scouts! (I stole that from Jon)

-Jenn-
(The Jen-erator)

1 comment: