Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 1: New Beginnings

Today was the first day of this year's program. And it was awesome! All of the new folks that I've met on both crews are great. And all of the old folks are great too. What more could I ask for? And since I don't like rhetorical questions all that much I'm going to go ahead and answer that one. Nothing.

We (green team 2) played some killer games and began laying the foundations for a successful summer in the morning. Then after lunch we went over to Cushetunk to check out our site. I was super impressed with the quality hikers that our crew is. We made the ascent of Cushetunk mountain in style. Then we trekked across the ridge and admired last years fantastic trail work. Later we got to see some work that SCA did in 2009 too. So this is the third consecutive year that SCA's been gracing the cliffs of the Cushetunk crests. It's exciting and inspiring when you suddenly realize what an influence SCA has had on a park. Take Point Mountain for an example. This is actually the first year in well before my time with SCA that we haven't had a crew there. Which is a testimony to the stellar work we've been doing in recent years.

There's really a lot of potential for some really neat stuff to happen at Cushetunk this year. We've got a variety of drainage, tread, and rock projects. I'm pretty stoked about getting some work done tomorrow. I've been waiting all year for this and legitimately cannot wait any longer. I've been getting some of the typical symptoms of Conservation Withdrawal. (restlessness, increased frequency in hiking, playing with rocks, talking with rocks, etc.) I'm hoping that tomorrow will provide a healthy dose of hard and rewarding labor.

Well it's after my bedtime. But I'll go ahead and leave you all with a quote.

"Don't blow it - good planets are hard to find." -Quoted in Time


Keep it real.

2 comments: