Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 1 - 6/28/10: Best first day ever!

So today was pretty much the best first day ever. It's tough to describe how excited I was about SCA this year. Especially since I didn't do the commuting crew last year. Although my national crew was amazing(ask me about it)... But I did miss you guys. In fact, I was so excited to get back to SCA that I actually visited Point Mountain for the sunset last night. I couldn't wait another day to get out to the park. By the way, if you've never watched the sunset off of the top of Point Mountain, that's very tragic and we'll have to make arrangements for that to change.

Anyway... today rocked. It was sweet seeing all of my old pals. And it was very exciting to meet all of the new folk. I can tell already that I like you all. Although I guess part of that is my theory that the kind of people that get involved with SCA are the same kind of people that I'd get along with. But the other part is that you are all awesome individuals. It was particularly exciting to meet Ellen, the "mystery crew leader." I was totally impressed with her ultimate Frisbee skills.

Which is another point I'd like to bring up. How can a crew possibly not be the coolest crew ever if they were all willing to play Ultimate Frisbee on day one? It's a dream come true. Between the Ultimate and a solid round of Spread 'Em and even the first game of Mafia I've played in quite some time, it was a phenomenal day of bonding.

I'm also totally stoked about our trail this year. My crew has a particularly exciting project. We have the job of connecting the Northern Point Mountain section with the Central Point Mountain section. Essentially, after this summer, the entire park can be hiked continuously, opening up fantastic day trip opportunities. The spectacular vistas, peaceful meadows and mellow river scenes from the central section mixed with the pleasantly tranquil northern section are sure to make for a wonderful hike. And with the amount of experienced members we have, I have no doubt that our trail will demonstrate some serious craftsmanship and excellency.

The most interesting thing about today though was the feeling it left me with. I figured that once I got to see everyone and the first day was over, my excitement would die down. Not the case. I am even more excited for tomorrow. I'm pumped to get started.

I was listening to Michael Franti on my way home (don't worry, I'll bring in the album eventually) and this lyric stuck out to me. "At the end of every rainbow, you might find gold; the last bite of your sandwich, hope you don't find mold." I don't really know where I'm going with this. I just thought it was cool so I figured I'd share. That's all of today. Kinda stream of consciousness. Seriously lacks continuity. But it's a blog, not a memoir, so get over it.

Peace.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment